Re: Ritmüller Göttingen upright

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 02:40:46 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ricardo Amil=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 9:19 PM
  Subject: Ritm=FCller G=F6ttingen upright

  Hi!
   Have you ever serviced an original german Ritm=FCller upright?
   I=B4m going to buy a used upright, I don=B4t have much money, here in =
South
   Am=E9rica the pianos are veeeeeeeeery expensive. The majority of =
sudents
  buy
   really old upright .
   I would like to know any opinion you have about the german maker.
   The height is 1,30 m., it=B4s overstrung and underdampered, SN 18338.
   85 keys, of course. The logo of this piano is just like the chinese =
new
  one,
   the only difference is it says G=F6ttingen beneath.
   It was made in G=F6ttingen, Berlin. In the plate there is a logo with =
  lion
      and 3 windmills on top. The action was manufactured by J. Keller & =
Co.
  in
      Stuttgart, SN 108539.
      You can=B4t see the pinblock, it=B4s behind the iron. (Sorry I=B4m =
not a
      technician, niether I speak english...)
      The tuning pins are nickeled or something, not black, sylver =
color. They
     are not original I supose.
      I=B4ve seen in the internet 2 o 3 pictures of old Ritm=FCller =
pianos, but
   they
      have a different logo above the keyboard than this piano, and they =
say
      DOPPEL RESONANZ SYSTEM, PT N=BA ............  It does not have =
that
      inscription.
      Is there such thing like a double soundboard or something?

      Sorry about my english, that=B4s the best I can do..... can you =
imagine?
     ;)))

          Your English is no worse than that of most (North) Americans, =
and you do much better with it than most of us do with Spanish (or =
Portuguese).
      According to the Pierce Piano Atlas, that piano was built around =
1907 or 1908.  =20
      Yes, if the tuning pins are shiny silver color, not black, then =
they are probably not original. =20
      Many piano companies change their logo over the years.  "Double =
Resonance System" could mean almost anything -- I doubt that it has two =
soundboards, but anything is possible.  Maybe it has a separate =
soundboard for the bass, or maybe "double resonance" has something to do =
with the bridges or ribs or agraffes (if any) or the bearing points of =
the strings (?). =20
      According to "Pianos and Their Makers", by Alfred Dolge, =
Ritmueller was founded in 1795 and made a well-built piano.  But with =
any piano that old, it's not the name on the front that matters, but =
rather what condition it's in.=20
      The main consideration is whether or not it will hold a tuning, =
whether the tone is satisfactory for you, and whether the action and =
hammers are serviceable.  If you cannot afford a piano technician to =
look at it for you, maybe you can find someone who knows what to look =
for.
      Sincerely,  David Nereson, RPT, Denver, Colorado, USA=20

   =20