Hammer assist spring ?

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:57:50 -0400

At 11:57 PM +0200 6/6/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>I just know there has got to be a few great reasons why this is
>ridiculous :)  But humour me ok ?

OK you asked for it. Hows'bout a leaf spring attached to the top of
the rep lever post bearing on the underside of the shank just on
front of the hammer head. That way while the rep is being lifted by
the  capstan (and the jack is lifting the knuckle), the rep lever can
lift the spring to offset the weakening of the spring by the
jack-induce motion of the shank.

I imagine the spring and the shank would have to stay in contact at
all times, to avoid the click of engagement. And it should be screw
adjustable. (I've got bad memories of trying to manually adjust
helper springs to the nearest 1g of BW.)

Mr. Bill

"If we see you SMOKING we will assume that you are on fire and will
take appropriate measures"
     ...........Sign in a Music Dept. Hallway