curing loose t-pins w/sandpaper

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:37:30 -0700

Clyde, yes, I have done this successfully more than a few times.

    I use a cloth-backed sandpaper for longevity. It's important to cut =
it so that it's just under the circumference of the pin. I roll the =
cloth around a pin to start the curve, then I roll it a little tighter =
and place it in the tuning pin hole so that the open side is pointing =
away from the string. Get it to open up by rolling something like a =
Phillips head screwdriver in the hole, and leave just a little paper =
above the pinblock, so that you don't just push the paper through when =
you put in the pin.  I like to pound the pin in just to get it started, =
and then turn it the rest of the way by hand.=20
    When I was learning to tune, I had an old junker Steinway that I got =
to learn on. The pin block was so shot that I had to do a whole lot of =
this kind of thing just to be able to tune it.  You can imagine what =
kind of a work-out those tuning pins got, and they felt good and never =
wore out.
Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 12:24 PM
  Subject: curing loose t-pins w/sandpaper

  Friends,

  I service an old upright with several very loose low bass tuning pins.
  Two of them won't even hold a pitch.  I tried epoxy on them, but that
  didn't work.  I'd like to try sandpaper in the holes.

  For those who have done this successfully, what type of sandpaper and
  what grit do you use?  Can I just drive the tuning pin in the hole =
after
  fitting a sandpaper shim, or should the pin be turned in?  I'd like to
  give this a try on Monday.  Thank you.

  Sincerely,
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT
  Lititz, PA