Rippen Pianos

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:07:53 +0200

On zaterdag, jun 7, 2003, at 22:30 Europe/Amsterdam, Alan Forsyth wrote:

>>> "Well for a piano not build in France it is not too bad in the end
>>> <G>
>
> Best
> Isaac OLEG>>
>
> Die man beteken dat klaviere van Frankryk af is heeltemaal beter as
> daardie
> van die Nederland!, ek dink. Hy ken die Champs Elise is bo die
> Heerengracht!
>
> Sorry Andre, my Dutch isn't as good as Isaac's English.
> You must have been working with Rippens when they utilized the plastic
> actions and keyboards. What did you think of them?
>
> Regards
> Alan Forsyth
>> From the other side of the North Sea.

  Hello Alan,

First I thought : this guy must be from Zuid Afrika, but then you say
you're from the across the North Sea, so I assume you 're English then?

Anyway, what do I think of the Rippens?

Well. in the e-mail I wrote in the past I said

"The Rippens were quite popular because the price was right, they had a
very
good bass, a reliable Renner and/or Langer action and rather remarkable
construction. They were further used over and over again as piano
rentals
because they proved to be very strong and reliable simplicity"

That's exactly the story of the Rippen piano's...they were reliable,
very strong, with some nice aspects.
Overall it was just a reasonable piano but I would never have bought
one. Instead I would have tried to buy an old Bechstein which, years
later, I did.
They are not interesting enough, just like the Schimmels from  the 70's
and 80's. Those are actually very good piano's but they are too
industrial, they lack artistry.
Today the Schimmels are much better, especially the Grand piano's. They
have developed very much and they are very beautiful.

The Rippens never got the chance.
The went broke before they grew up.

Antares,
The Netherlands