curing loose t-pins w/sandpaper

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 08 Jun 2003 08:10:56 -0500

I've both heard that story and experienced it.  I had a customer with
1 won't-stay-put pin.  I told him the possibility of inserting a
larger pin and just expanding that crack.  He said let's try it
anyhow.  We did.  It made the others worse.  He replaced the block.

The customer was the retired husband of a public school music
teacher.  I supplied him with pin block material, strings, etc. he
did the work.  I had never done that before, and wouldn't again, but
he did better than you might expect.

dave

On 6/8/2003 at 6:07 AM Clyde Hollinger wrote:

>Yes, I've heard the same thing, and I repeat it to customers whose
pianos
>have
>loose pins, especially if the looseness is in a relatively straight
line
>and the
>other pins seem okay.  Has anyone actually had the experience of
inserting
>oversize pins, or using shims which would increase the total
diameter, and
>then
>finding that nearby pins were looser than before starting the
repair?  Is
>there
>a myth or here that really is unfounded?
>
>Regards,
>Clyde
>
>Avery Todd wrote:
>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> Something I've heard many times to be aware of is that if a pin is
>> loose because of a split beginning in the block, an oversize pin
>> "could" enlarge the crack, making the looseness extend to even
more
>> pins. Just a thought.
>>
>> Avery
>>
>> At 01:07 AM 06/08/03 +0200, you wrote:
>> >That sounds like a really temporary fix. Why not replace the pins
with
>> >larger while you are at it?

**************** END MESSAGE FROM  Clyde Hollinger
David M. Porritt