George Steck grand

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 09:51:14 -0500

>Just what is the bass string termination? I've not seen a George Steck with
>a capo tastro bar down there but, of course, I've not seen them all and
>George was fairly inventive. Or is it just a string coming over a bearing
>bar with pins or something--ala typical upright style? In the bass it
>doesn't take much to provide an adequate termination.
>
>Del

My folks had a '60s era neo-natal Steck [Aeolian?], and as I recall, it had
a capo for all but the bottom 4 or 5 where it had big bridge pins. Very
similar to  upright configuration and for the same reason - there is a
large lateral angle to the string. Otherwise the tuning pins would have to
be outside of the case(or case much wider).

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.