George Steck grand

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:16:22 -0500

My 1922 Steck grand has a capo d'astro bar specifically for all the bass
strings and another for the tenor section that is curved. They are part
of the plate casting and there are struts just a couple of inches from
each that are roughly parallel to the capos. Then there are capo bars in
the treble and high treble sections.

The pressure bars are also a molded part of the plate.

The only way to put in agraffes would be to grind the bass pressure bar
off (assuming it wouldn't leave the plate too thin) and install them on
that line. Then you'd have to grind away the bottom of the capo bar
about a 1/2 inch. This would change the string angle considerably and
the agraffes would only be about an inch from the nearest pins. You'd
also be adding about 2 1/2" to the speaking length of the strings.

So other than totally screwing up the scale, creating severe negative
downbearing (making it upbearing?), making restringing and tuning more
difficult, and basically being pointless, it would be a snap to do. <G>

There are no pins, by the way. The strings are dead-straight all the way
from bridge to tuning pin.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO