Rippen opinions, please!

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:41:18 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>      Do you mean straight strung ?  grin.. sorry ... couldnt help
>      myself.  Every time I see that "flat strung" term... I get
>      this vision of some guy out there banging away at the string
>      matial to flatten it before stringing the instrument.
>
>      Cheers
>
>      RIcB
>

> No. I don't mean straight strung. The term straight strung as applied
> to the piano having all of its string laid out in a more-or-less
> single plane has always bothered me. It implies that the strings are
> straight. But straight relative to what? Of course the strings are
> straight. Strings under tension are, by their nature, straight. So
> that means all pianos are straight strung.

No no no no no... you got it all wrong here. The fact that the stings
are by viture of the tension placed upon them straightened means the
pianos has straight strings not that the piano is strung straightly. If
we were to follow this logic you propose here we would have to say that
because the piano is flatly strung it must per definition employ flat
strings which clearly is not the case. The  strungedness of the piano is
completely independant of whether or not the piano employs straight
strings or for that matter flat strings.

> We must look further to figure out just what the straight in straight
> strung refers to. Does straight strung mean that the strings are
> perpendicular to the strike line? A bit of a stretch on the word,
> that. And besides, very few flat strung pianos have many of their
> strings oriented perpendicular to the strikeline--in some there are
> none at all--so the term straight strung would have to leave out all
> those whose strings deviate from that perpendicular-to-strikeline
> orientation. Or does the term straight strung mean that the strings
> are all parallel to each other? Again, few flat strung pianos have
> many of their strings laid parallel to each other--some have none at
> all. So, the term straight strung would have to leave out most flat
> strung pianos on that basis alone.

I MUST, on the otherhand aggree with the reasoning herewith and above.
The term straight strung as employed to reference the alternative string
dispersement to overstrung clearly invokes problematic envisionments
relative to the nature of the real deployment of the straight strings
that I think virtually every piano employs.

> On the other hand, the term flat strung clearly differentiates the
> string dispersement from its alternate, the overstrung string
> dispersion. It makes reference to the fact that the strings are all in
> a single, flat plane rather than sending some of the strings up and
> over some of the other strings.

This term (flat strung), on the other hand again, while clearly
differentiating the strings dispersement from overstrung, invokes even
more problematic envisionments relative to the nature of the these same
straight strings themselves.  And, I might add does no better job of
differentiating itself from overstrung pianos then straight strung does
anyways.

> Or should we just use non-overstrung piano having all strings in a
> single, more-or-less-flat plane. Seems a bit cumbersome. I'll stick
> with flat strung.

I agree with the desirablity of moving away from the clearly misleading
term straight strung. Yet I simply refuse to allow myself to be
corrupted into using the equally if not furthur clumsic flat strung.
So... I propose a completely different term... one that I think clearly
exhasperates upon us its reasonablness.

Fanned Strung

> Regards,
>
> Del