Rentals: Was Dealers, Prep, real success

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:36:15 -0400

Friends,

>From time to time I've wondered if I could build a successful piano rental
business.  Is anyone on the list doing this?  Is it worth the hassle?  As I get
closer to the typical retirement age I try to think of ways I can establish a
continuing stream of income while freeing up more time for volunteerism or even
the possibility of not being able to carry the workload I do now.  Any helpful
comments regarding aspects to remember and possible pitfalls?

One possible misconception I have is that renting pianos, especially to
customers who keep renting them for years, seems like taking advantage of the
clueless, who would be better off going out and buying one.  On the other hand,
I can see the point of short-term rentals for people who move around a lot and
don't want the headache of moving the piano, but then there would be a lot more
piano moving involved, something I'm not particularly excited about.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger