Historical Pianos/notation

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:36:48 -0500

At 12:49 PM -0500 6/4/03, Keith McGavern wrote:

>A question: When it references the scale as
>
>A subscript 2 - C superscript 5
>
>is a zero (0) used for that octave, and if so, is it subscript,
>superscript or something else?
>
>Keith McGavern

Keith, I take it you refer to 'range A2 - c5,'  this is standard
notation except among piano tuners. c is the one an octave below
middle C, the capitals start there and go down so that the next
octave is B down to C than BB (or B2), down to AA. c1 (or c') is
middle c, followed by c2 (c''), c3, c4, c5. So this is modern piano
range. I am used to writing it AA - c''''', but it is the same. This
notation applies across all instruments and times as the range
changes, it is not modern piano centered. It is easy to use once you
get used to it. I hope I explained this well, it's the end of a long
day.
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT