Bass String Coils

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:32:54 +0200

Hello,

Indeed 3 fingers do the trick, but there are slight departure in the
medium where the slack is larger, and the string give a lot more than
in the treble. String elongation can be computed in scaling
spreadsheet it is interesting to see.

Fastest method at this day is to pre-cut lenght of strings In the
piano (the end being installed in the tuning pin hole)

After having prepared those pre-cut lenght for a whole range of
numbers (or half range if you prefer), I pop up the end of the string
from the hole, with a finger's nail, directly in the pin holded in the
little turning crank for coil making.

With a little habitude the coils are made in the same move than
extracting the string from the  wrestplank hole.

As usual, less moves = more speed.

A good rebuilder here strings up to 2 pianos/week, and can change
strings/pins in a grand in some 20 hours work on site (dampers back,
chipped and tuned...)

And as we dicovered the Danair Palm Nailer, speed will grow even more

I bet that one can compute the circumference of the pin, plus the
becket's lenght, and compute the desired lenght.

Greetings.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.