dangerous pianos?

Pam Jenkins pjx2@runpoint.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:53:55 -0400

Hello list,
I just finished looking at an old upright for a friend and decided to try to
get some answers to this question:  At what point do old pianos become
dangerous?  I seem to remember hearing that the structure of a piano could
become compromised to such an extent that it could actually "blow up"  under
the weight of the string tension.  What can one look for to determine if old
pianos are structurally sound?  This upright had a huge break in the sound
board.  The crack extended at a 45 degree angle the entire range of the
sound board and was over 1/2 inch wide at the most. I am not sure what role
the sound board plays in the stability of the structure of the piano, but
would love to hear your ideas.  I appreciate all your wisdom...thanks in
advance.