dangerous pianos?

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:20:14 -0400

Pam,

I have never heard of a piano "blowing up".  Though a major crack in
the sound board will effect tone, it will not compromise the
structural integrity of the piano.  At worst, strings will break in
older pianos.  Usually while tuning or playing.  That poses no danger
unless the piano is opened up.  And even then the danger is minimal.

In some cases I have seen the cast iron plate crack.  Even then I
have never seen it implode under string tension.

Of the many problems that most of these old uprights have, a
potential explosion is not one of them.  :)

chris
--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University