porous casting

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:28:27 -0500

List,

I'm in the middle of a grand piano rebuild, a '30's Hardman baby grand.
The v-bar was more of a plateau than a "V", so I attacked it with the
Dremel.  Right away I noticed small (1/4" diameter) areas that had a
different resistance to the grinder, and a different surface appearance
after grinding, from the surrounding metal.  Then I began exposing little
holes in the cast iron as I removed material.  Oh @#$$%&!, porous casting
with weld repairs!

My plan is to remove enough material to make a seat for some 3/32" diameter
drill rod, and bed it in J-B Weld.  Unless someone can suggest a
better/easier repair?

By the way, the back of the J-B Weld package has a couple of user
testimonials, including:  A Kansas farmer said, "I have been using J-B Weld
for more than five years on my farm equipment and I have decided that it is
even better than bailing wire"

Mike Spalding RPT
Fredonia, Wisconsin

Mike & Jane Spalding