Sohmer bridge agraffe design

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:10:35 -0500

I have an 1890's Sohmer upright with these bridge agraffes.  You
have to see the whole thing to appreciate the nuances that are
needed to have a piano with agraffes on the bridge.  For starters
they alternate from being higher and lower from each other.
Apparently so much  pressure is needed so they won't buzz, it can
be either up or down.  Which is an interesting concept---up
pressure of strings on a bridge. Isn't that how a harp bridge
works?   Here though we have both up and down pressure of strings
on a bridge.
    I can't say  how this piano sounds because it is too far gone
to be worth repair.    The action "stickers" sit in cups if I
remember.
You can have this piano if you want.  Just come and get it.  : )
 Or if you pay my way to Aust. by boat I will bring it with me.

        Richard Moody

ps.  I remember at Reno visiting your booth and was so impressed
with the sound that I sat away at another booth that happen to
have a German piano about your size.  I wanted to hear yours at a
distance in that huge hall.  I did and was impressed, but also
impressed with the German piano.  Then I came back to your booth
hoping to hear someone play the German piano.   I didn't hear that
but heard someone commenting unfavorably on your piano's bass
sound.  I had the opposite opinion.  I didn't think of it at the
time nor have the temerity to ask, "Well can you show us a piano
here that has a bass that you like?"  It was my first convention,
and had attended one of his classes and wasn't up to playing in
public.  Otherwise I am sure I could have demonstrated the
excellence of the sound of your piano and I doubt he nor I could
have heard the diff when blindfolded or if so it could well have
been your piano!

        Richard Moody