was Sohmer agraffe - Reno '01

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:12:46 +1000

At 11:10 PM -0500 14/6/03, Richard Moody wrote:

>ps.  I remember at Reno visiting your booth and was so impressed
>with the sound that I sat away at another booth that happened to
>have a German piano about your size.  I wanted to hear yours at a
>distance in that huge hall.  I did and was impressed, but also
>was impressed with the German piano.

I too was impressed with the German piano, a Bl=FCthner model II (7'8")
I think. It didn't seem to have a particularly big sound but it
certainly had a clean, pure and balanced sound. I really liked it
since I just don't enjoy screaming pianos. I was interested to note
that it had a log style treble bridge scale with a relatively high
break, A25/Bfl26 from memory - a rare occurrence in a 7' class piano.

>Then I came back to your booth
>hoping to hear someone play the German piano.   I didn't hear that
>but heard someone commenting unfavorably on your piano's bass
>sound.

Yes I remember the comment well. He said the bass of my piano "was
just noise". I have wondered about his comment since then. You know
how it is, self doubt is always lurking closely by in the background?
And when someone comes out with such a comment it makes you wonder if
you're living in a fairyland, with just another ordinary creation. On
the other hand, the person who made the comment has long been
regarded as an action guru in the US (particularly with trouble
shooting and supplying Tokiwa parts, and Tokiwa are making my wippens
and shanks). Perhaps he is feeling a bit sore about me designing my
own grand piano action.

>  I had the opposite opinion.  I didn't think of it at the
>time nor have the temerity to ask, "Well can you show us a piano
>here that has a bass that you like?"  It was my first convention,
>and had attended one of his classes and wasn't up to playing in
>public.  Otherwise I am sure I could have demonstrated the
>excellence of the sound of your piano and I doubt he nor I could
>have heard the diff when blindfolded or if so it could well have
>been your piano!
>
>         Richard Moody

It was a huge week for us at Reno, and we were most encouraged by the
supportive comments we received from a great number of delegates,
apart from the one exception. And thank you for your support Richard.
I just hope that we can return to the US when we get the 280 concert
piano up an running.

Best,
Ron O.
--