price-shoppers!

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:41:46 -0500

At 7:19 PM -0700 6/16/03, pianolover 88 wrote:
>Just wanted to get some feedback on how everyone ELSE handles
>first-time customer calls that begin: "HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE?" ...

Terry,

Normally, I tell them how much *after* a few simple questions, such as:

1) Do you know when the last time it was tuned?
2) Do all the notes work?
3) Do the pedals work?
4) Do they live in town or out of town?

 From these questions I can usually gather enough information to quote
a minimum price that will give the caller an idea whether they want
to proceed or not.

Sometimes: 1) I just quote a tuning price that I know will see me
through a first visit, 2) I let them know that any repairs and/or
adjustments are additional, and 3) that I charge X amount for mileage
when going to any other community than the one I live in.

It doesn't take long using either approach to establish in most
callers' minds, and my own, what it is they want to do. I might even
ask more specific questions depending on the feedback from the
caller, even to the point of asking if they would like to set a time
for me to come out.

That's about it for the moment.

Keith McGavern