Ivory Glue

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:24:02 -0400

    Clyde:
    You may have something.  I failed to mention that I've had poor =
results using a water/latex based contact cement.  No smell, but =
miserable results.  The stuff just doesn't stick!  Consistent good =
results with petroleum based cement is necessary for good adhesion.  I =
stand by my recommendations. =20
    Mike Kurta
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 6:25 AM
  Subject: Re: Ivory Glue

  Friends,=20
  OK, we have an interesting conflict in opinion.  Might it have =
anything to do with the contact cement itself?=20

  We got a new countertop on our kitchen cabinets around 1990, and =
everything is starting to come apart now.  A cabinetmaker said there was =
bad glue at one point.  That may not have affected the small amounts we =
use, but if it did, that might account for the variety of opinions.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde=20

  RCzekay@aol.com wrote:=20

    Contact cement is the best for gluing ivories, or for replacing =
ivories with plastic key tops. Been using it for years, and it is a very =
tight and lasting bond. I also use it to replace sharps. Have never had =
a call back on a key recovering job in the last 25 years.