tuning narrow and wide

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:28:59 +0000

Tony wrote:

<snip>
Both narrow and wide measurements vary only below note 15 "B" and above =
note 64 "C".

>From this one would assume that the narrowing and widening of a piano =
should only happen above and below those notes.
<snip>

Yes, that is one way to do it, though I think the way to a more blended or
organic sounding tuning also involves the width of the temperament octave.
Think about it, we use that octave as the foundation to work to both ends of
the keyboard, so small changes here are multiplied by the inharmonicity
effect as we compare back and forth.

Most pianos will have a range in that first octave that is acceptable.
Virgil Smith's article in the Journal covers this a little.  Some people
make the 3rd-10th test beat the same, while he feels that the 10th must be
faster than the 3rd for his "pure" octaves to work from one end of the
keyboard to the other.  If the central octaves are narrower, then to get the
doubles and triple to work, the singles have to be stretched more than that
central octave would dictate, causing imbalances in the single octaves.

The machines can help with this effect, but it takes a little more fiddling
than just calculating a tuning the way the manual suggests.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland