Broken Screw Extraction

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:43:37 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 6:50 AM
  Subject: Broken Screw Extraction

  Anyone have any good suggestions on how to remove a broken screw from =
a pinblock? One of the pressure bar screws on the upright I am =
restringing twisted off. The break is slightly above the pinblock =
surface, but well below the plate (about a half-inch hole in the plate). =
I think it is about a #10 screw.

  Just when things were going fairly well........

  Terry Farrell
   =20

  Too late now, but I recently bought some Craftsman (Sears "model" no. =
52154) broken screw extractors (3 sizes in one package) that have worked =
for me so far.  They have a hex shank and are kind of like a sharp =
Phillips head that digs into the screw and backs it out.  =20
      The ones Joseph Garratt mentions are more like a backwards jack =
spring hole reamer -- probably better.
      P.S.  Craftsman (Crapsman) tools may not be the finest or the most =
expensive you can buy, but I have many many of them, both handtools and =
(older) power tools, and in 25 years have had a problem with maybe two =
of them -- one drill and one wrench.  Both were replaced free at Sears, =
no questions asked. =20
      --David Nereson, RPT