Broken Screw Extraction

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:28:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 8:51 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Broken Screw Extraction

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to remove a broken screw from a
pinblock? One of the pressure bar screws on the upright I am restringing
twisted off. The break is slightly above the pinblock surface, but well
below the plate (about a half-inch hole in the plate). I think it is
about a #10 screw.

Just when things were going fairly well........

Terry Farrell

Terry,
	If you're lucky and the remaining part of the screw isn't too
frozen, (a drop of liquid wrench or protek can help here also) you can
make a slot with a small cold chisel and back it out with a screw
driver. If this doesn't work an Easy-Out screw extractor would be my
next method. You will have to drill a hole through the body of the screw
and the Easy out directions will give you the correct drill sizes.
	I've had to do this many times on the long action mounting
screws of 1960's Wurlitzer verticals .
	Tom Driscoll RPT