Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:35:31 EDT

John writes:

>The speed you drill at has an effect on the size of the hole, one way the
> hole is larger, the other smaller, with the same size bit.
> I forget which is which, but too fast is no good and neither is too slow.
> Possibly someone can remember the speeds that should be used.

Greetings,
   Feed rate determines the amount of "wander".  A faster feed will create a
larger hole but slow feed rate will increase temperature, thus, the bit will
expand, so these two things are working in different directions!  All of these
considerations must be based on the angle of grind on the bit, and its
material.  There is no substitute for experimentation and experience.
   I use a single pass without any cooling.   In the top octave, I use a
faster feed because I want a lower torque.  Comfortable tuning means about 100-110
in/lbs for me.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/