Virtual Capstan

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:41:15 +0200

Hi folks

In the next couple days I will be releasing a description for my
magnetic secondayr capstan idea. I believe this will very adequatly
address most of the issues we've been discussing on the keyratio and
leverage thread.

The virtual capstan is comprised of two adjustable opposing magnets, one
on the underside of the whippen forward of the whippen cushion (heel),
the other just forward of the capstan on the key and directly under the
whippen magnet.

The effect and purpose is to significantly seperate the weight aspect of
action ratio from the distance and speed aspects, providing essentially
a fully apparatus for adjusting each of these independant of one
another. This independance is by virtue of the fact that the physical
capstan being farther back has a higher ratio factor relative to
distance and velocity then the magnets have, and thereby will be the
determining factor for distance and velocity. Likewise the placement of
the magnets will yeild a more effective weight advantage, and will
thereby be determinant of that.

In this fashion one will be able to adjust both distance, and weight
ratios independantly of one another.

This addresses the adjustable touchweight issue quite effectively. It
will not experience any significant difference in effect through the key
stroke as the magnets proximity to one another will not change enough.
The magnets will not physically get in the way of adjusting the standard
capstan. And it will allow to a very significant degree a reduction in
key mass for those who find this preferable.

The idea is mine, and it will not be patented. In the spirit of Open
Source development the idea and general concept is to remain in the free
public domain.

Richard Brekne

--
Richard Brekne