Virtual Capstan

Simon Bedak SBB@masseybailey.com.au
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:40:57 +1000

>In the next couple days I will be releasing a description for my
magnetic >secondaryr capstan idea.

Thank you Ric for being so generous with your interesting concept. I'm
excited about learning more and thank you for inviting open development
contributions.
I think the exploration of harnessing polarity in the instrument is as
valid and pioneering an undertaking as those who centuries ago
considered the differences between various woods, shapes, and all other
materials at their disposal. Magnetic fields as grain, etc... seems a
natural step.
Sadly and truly though, I know nothing about magnets.
But I expect (although this assumption may be incorrect) that the
material would be subject to its own form of wear and tear by way of
magnetic ennui or the like. For this reason, please permit me to suggest
that ease of this virtual capstan's removal for routine maintenance as
dictated by this medium might be a valid consideration in its initial
design. At the back of my mind I suspect having many magnets gathered
across a single plane in such proximity might be troublesome in that
they may drain one another, etc... I could be very wrong and someone
might alert me if I am.

As I say, I've absolutely no idea about magnets and all I know about
them is they pin the many overdue bills to my fridge door at home in
Canberra.
Cheers and every success and I look forward to learning more.

Simon Bedak,
Sydney, Aust.