tuning narrow and wide

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:13:53 +0000

Tony wrote:
<snip>
In America when you sit for a tuning exam, can you do the exam on a Yamaha
U1 piano ?, when the piano is checked do the examiners write down the cents
for each note of the piano ?. If so, then is there available a list
somewhere of the the cents for each note of the piano that is deemed as
being correct (subject to verification by ear) ?.
<snip>

I'm not involved with the exam process, but it's my understanding that they
try to find a grand that doesn't have wound strings on the long bridge.
Then a comittee of 3 (I think) set a master tuning, altering notes untill
they can all come to agreement, based on whatever checks they choose. They
are not going for a "best" tuning, rather one that is proscribed by the PTG,
consisting of certain types of intervals for particular portions of the
scale.  This, I believe, is an attempt to remove tuner preference, and make
a tuning "standard" for the examinee to shoot for.  Once they are satisfied
with this master tuning, it is recorded using any of the "approved"
electronic tuning devices.  It is that saved tuning that our tunings are
graded against.  Any differences can be challenged, and if tests can be
produced to support your case, the grade can reflect that.

Another thing to recognize is that even though U1's may all be similar, they
won't be identical for their "best" tuning. So, the chart you have will be
of limited use, especially because it is limited to whole numbers for the
cents measurements.  Most of the modern tuning gear will be spitting the
cents to at least tenths, and more often hundreths in the quest to calculate
a more precise tuning.

Even though an aural tuner might feel that there is only one "right" tuning
for a particular instrument, other aural tuners may very well come up with
another tuning that they feel is the only "right" tuning.  The chart you
have may have been made to try to anticipate those differing tuning
preferences.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland