Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:47:04 EDT

Richard.Brekne writes:

> You say you drill out of piano.  How is it you insure that the pin holes
> are exactomundo - right on the button-no bones about it - perfectly in the
> right spots each and every time.

I use methods similar to those already posted by others. Set of center
punches to mark the holes. if I err, it's on the side of very slightly too small a
punch, set towards the keyboard side of center. I don't put much tip on the
tuning pins, and this gives me a little insurance against them rubbing the plate.
Incidentally, I've tuned pianos where they DID rub the plate, and I didn't
find it a problem.

I think the most important part is the careful fit of the block to the
flange. We try to have almost continuous contact along the flange, clamp the block
to the plate (vertically and horizonally) to insure good location for the
screws, and leave the clamps and screws in place while marking for the pin holes.

After it's drilled, we screw it back to the plate to check the holes. I'm
sure I'm the only person in the world who has ever missed (wandering bit, hard
spot in the block, etc.), so I'll just confess if it's a tiny bit off, I enlarge
the plate hole slightly, in the direction I need to, with a round file. It
doesn't show. If it's off more than a hair, I plug and re-drill. When all is
satisfactory, we spray the plate.

Bob D