Virtual Capstan

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:51:16 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

>  Hi, what a great setup ! It may certainly produce the same effect on
> touch that the assist springs.

Perhaps a bit similiar, but not really the same thing. The magnets
couple the whippen to the key, which moves upwards keeping the support
on the whippen the same throughout the whole stroke. The whippen assist
spring pulls against the whippen rail. Another thing to remember... is
that the weight of the whippen and hammershank assemebly pushes downward
on the key magnet as much as it pushes upwards on the whippen magnet. So
the position of the magnets relative to the key ratio becomes
significant.

 I am unsure of the magnets, I used to buy some ceramic magnets in time,
and they where VERY expensive, and very strong, don't get demagnetized
with time, and so on.Are they the same or the same kind, that should
price less actually.

I found a price list for a US supplier which sells these engross for 40
cents apiece. Amazing, congratulations Ric.
Thanks... but its still more an idea in the working then a fully blown
viable product. Tho I am very confident it will live up to expectations.
We will see :)
 I may think about it now ! Greetings. Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

Cheers

RicB

--