Virtual Capstan

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:10:31 +0200

Hi Andre, and others.

Been checking some effects of side by side keys, the actual need for lifting force and the like and think I would at this point recommend trying permanant neodym ring magnets that are  7.5 mm in outside diameter, and 3 mm thick. Use two at the key, and one at the adjust button on the whippen.

You just dont need as much lifting power as the 10 X 5's give you and the smaller diameter also assures better distance from key to key.

That being said, with 10 by 5's and the hammer lifted out of the way to just see whether the whippen would lift or not when a neighbor key moved up, I had to have the neighbors whippen magnet adjusted to a 5mm distance from its own key magnet before I noticed any affect from the raised neighbor key. That close a
seting is just not needed... yeilds about 5 - 6 grams BW reduction on my model.

A smaller magnet would also mean that the distance between the key and whippen magnets would have to be reduced a bit. But it seems like 5 to 8 mm space there is plenty enough to still get a regualting tool comfortably in to adjust the capstan.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne