machines or not? what?

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:20:25 -0500

Terry, Antares, List Subscribers,

I've thought long and hard concerning what I'm about to say, so it
does not come easily or lightly for me to comment concerning the
Verituner praises (see below) that are currently being advocated, and
those that have been mentioned in the past. I now feel led to present
an entirely different view as being a professionally important thing
to do.

I did purchase a Verituner earlier this year based largely on the
glowing reports that have been proclaimed on Pianotech by a few
subscribers, from the advertisements in the Journal and by the
information provided on the Veritune's website.

For the record I have prior experience with the Hale Sight-O-Tuner,
the Sanderson Accu-Tuners' I & II and with the Reyburn Cybertuner.
This covers a span of 20 + years. Also for the record, I am not
claiming to be a great tuner, or in having extensive training to
suffice anyone to believe I am an expert on the matter.

So to continue:

When it comes to the following claims of "...the most perfect tuning
possible...", "... You just choose your pitch and that's just it...",
"... every buyer that I know of went crazy after the very first
tuning...", "... it will consistently yield a tuning equal to or
better than a very fine aural tuning produced by a highly skilled
aural tuner...", "... The VT is absolutely AMAZING..."

I am not one of those persons who experienced any of the above quotes.

All I have to support this statement is the years and the yield of
tunings with the other devices I have used, and the results they have
or have not provided. Some of the tunings are pianos I have tuned and
serviced for those 20 + years on a regular basis.

I had greatly wished and hoped for the results to be the same as
those claimed by the existing Verituner owners, however, it did not
happen for me.

Whether that be due to operator error, incompetence on my part,
and/or a variety of any other factors that might exist, I cannot say.
I only know after 2 months of usuage, it was an experience of
complete frustration with continued trial and error outcomes. I gave
up expecting to get anything close to the results that others have
claimed to get whatsoever.

I am disappointedly glad that some are completely satisfied with
their Verituner results. I would have liked to been one of those
praisers and experience the amazing benefits that have been extolled.

Alas, it was not meant to be for me.

Respectfully submitted,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician