single hitch pins

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:05:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 20, 2003 10:13 PM
Subject: single hitch pins

> {regarding single hitch pin for each string.....................
>
> I can think of only a few reasons for continuing this stringing
> practice:
>     -- It looks pretty.
>     -- It is Tradition.
>     -- The pianomaker has way too much time on his hands.
>
> Del
>
> Another consideration is that you can change the gauge of all
> three strings of any note.   Another advantage is you can get the
> exact angle from the hitchpin to the back termination you want.
>     And I have always wanted to ask, was it ever a consideration
> in the factory process?   With single hitch pins for each string
> the exact length of string is known and can be "pre fabed" so to
> speak and might make the stringing procedure faster.

While this may be an advantage from a rescaling standpoint it really isn't
from a designer's or a manufacturer's standpoint. With the ability to lay
out the bridge and scale any way he wishes the designer can arrange wire
size changes in groups two so that multiple individual tied strings are not
necessary. So, while there might be a theoretical scaling advantage to
running individual tied strings throughout, there is no practical
advantage.

Most manufacturers are going to be more concerned with reducing the cost of
the final product. The option of individually tied off strings is really
only a pracitcal consideration for the high-end manufacturer who wants to
make an issue over it and the manufacturer with access to vast quantities
of very low-paid labor. As that low-paid labor becomes more exposed to the
rest of the world and begins to demand a livable wage the feature becomes
less attractive.

Another reason why I am reluctant to use individually tied strings is that
they are more difficult to use with vertical hitchpins and I find the value
of the vertical hitchpin to outweigh any potential value found with the
individual string arrangement.

>     A disadvantage might be the increased number of holes for the
> increased number of hitch pins might weaken the
>        ----rm

True. But this could easily be overcome by spreading the hitch pins out a
bit or by making the web a bit thicker.

Del