Virtual Capstan

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:30:53 +0200

BobDavis88@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/21/2003 8:56:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> BobDavis88@aol.com writes:
>

>> In order for a pair of magnets to store potential energy in the
>> deformation of the magnetic field, one of them must be mounted
>> outside the moving part of the system; i. e., on the action frame.
>
> Well, slight correction, I mean energy storage that makes the action
> lighter. A multiple capstan, solid or virtual, just distributes the
> point(s) of application of the force - it doesn't lessen the input
> force required to move the wippen.

 A pair of capstans / heels at two different distances from the fulcrum
will indeed change the input force required to move the whippen at the
front of the key. Try putting a very strong spring under the whippen on
key 15 mm front of the capstan.

> The changing gap of the magnet just changes the distribution of the
> load between the two capstans.
> Bob

It does indeed change the load between the two capstans. Its exactly
because of this that the leverage changes. Try it.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.