Virtual Capstan

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:46:41 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

 Hello Tom, Indeed your comment make sense, the lightening is to be
supported by the pianist's hand but indeed the whippen ratio is probably
changing, as the friction between the capstan and whippen heel).
 These virtual changes are probably not the same depending the speed the
key is played, but I just suspect it, don't see why it should be.
 If there is a reaction time between the magnets then they act as
springs are not they ? Is there one ???????

The magnetic field can of course be compressed, but in this case the
degree of compression is restricted by the back capstan until the key
through most of its stroke.  I would suspect there might be some effect
from this on hard play, but I would also suspect that would not be
enough to worry about. Still, it needs to be checked out and I am in the
process of doing just that. Good point Isaac :) I wish I will be
experimenting with those before the end of the month .
 I showed the setup to Stephen Paulello, and he find the idea very neat,
he experimented once with a magnet driven letoff, that suppress the
friction at the button, but indeed too much problems to be precise and
consistent. Very interesting project, and a generous Richard
! Greetings.Isaac OLEG

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.