tuning exam in US/Phil Bondi

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:45:07 -0700

Phil,
You said: "The test piano is set up by machine and aural tuners alike that
need to agree on it's 'test set-up'.
I'd like to clarify your statement, a bit. The Test Piano is tuned by an
aural tuner. Then it is reviewed and tweaked by, at least, two other Aural
tuners, until they agree on all aspects of the tuning. THEN, the tuning is
Measured and Recorded via an ETD, (or Measured by ETD and Recorded on a
"hard copy".). Your statement implies that criteria is a result of an ETD,
which is not correct. The piano must meet all AURAL criteria during the
"Master Tuning".
And YES, I believe, it is a fair TEST. Is it easy? Nope! However, I know
that it is easier than the one I took, years ago, where the piano was a
Shifting Keyboard Upright. I had to tune ALL of the piano. Unisons, A0,A#0,
B0 AND C8. ALL unisons, as well. My examiners were VERY exacting in their
critique of my complete tuning! Of course, this was the exception for the
time.
Now the exam is the same, no matter where it is given or who gives it.
There's no more "good ole boy" crap. It works! And, I believe that we have
better qualified RPTs because of it.
Best Regards,
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)