Virtual Capstan

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:20:35 -0500

>It also makes the decision that the leverage doesn't change. By
>translating the uplift at the magnets to their actual force applied at the
>capstan, we simplify things considerably.

But the leverage of the loading has changed, by the addition of the mass
and repulsion of the magnets at different points than were loaded prior to
the magnets being added. I just, as you said, translated the loading to the
original points for clarity and simplicity.

>Two things I see the magnets doing here: reducing friction at the capstan,
>and reducing the load at the capstan.

That is what Isaac was getting at, I think, but I don't really know how
significant the friction reduction is compared to the leverage changes.

>Ron, are you saying that the installation and operation of these magnets
>affects inertia simply by the addition of their mass to the rotating parts?

Of course, just like adding mass to any other rotating part in an action
adds inertia.

>Or do they affect inertia in other ways?

There are other ways?

>We got maybe a hundred monkeys on this thing, and that's what you're
>working on.

Not me. I've confronted pretty much all the monkeys I'm currently prepared
to hunt with the outlining of the basic "why" concepts of the leverage. The
bulk of the rest will consist of building an action or two and trying them
out on real world pianists to see if they fly. I'll pass that back to the
inventor for R&D.

>Thanks to you and Ric for carrying this thing so far.

It ain't even out of the gate yet.