Virtual Capstan

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:55:43 +0200

Bill Ballard wrote:

> > >We got maybe a hundred monkeys on this thing, and that's what you're
> > >working on.

Well.. tell them that my first results with side by side keys shows a definant
proximity problem (which I have at least one fix for) with interference. These
magnets are strong little bugger.

This can be overcome by placeing the magnets on the backside of the capstan with the
magnets attracting one another in alternate fashion with forward of the capstan with
the magnets in opposition.

It may also be that useing smaller magnets and allowing for closer placement might
work as well.  Any other suggestions ?? I was told today by one supplier that using
cylinder magnets of smaller dimension might do the trick as well as the magnetic
field is more centered and cylinders are a bit stronger then rings.

I will try and work out the leverages involved on for putting them in the backside,
but initial DW/UW experiements show that the same kind of results can be obtained.

Course that raises the need to find a convienient regulating scheme for those
magnets aft of the capstan :) Not a biggie.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne