OT Virus

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:00:41 -0400

Hi Greg,

>>         Are you generally having good success with Black Ice? I've opted
for Zone Alarm quite a long time ago as someone told me that you could
punch holes in Black Ice all day long. Didn't sound too secure, at least at
the time.

Seems to work OK for me.  It's pretty fully configurable.  I suppose it's
possible to punch holes in it if it's loosely configured.  In addition to
the firewall, it's got application-level protection.  If an unknown program
tries to launch (including a program that has been modified from the version
it has "memorized"), you will be prompted whether to allow it to launch or
terminate.  If an unauthorized application (e.g. a trojan application) tries
to access the internet, it will prompt you about that too.  The only hole
I've noticed is that someone can snoop out the contents of my clipboard if
I'm not careful to keep it cleared.

The application-level protection can be a major pain in the derrier if you
do any programming.  Also Black Ice might not protect you very well if you
don't know how to use it properly.  Still, I'd recommend it.  It works well,
which is more than I can say for most software these days.  It was
recommended to me by a programmer.

Peace,
Sarah