tuning exam in US

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:52:15 -0500

Joe, Richard,

>From: Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
>The Test Piano is tuned by an aural tuner.
>Then it is reviewed and tweaked by, at least, two
>other Aural tuners, until they agree on all aspects
>of the tuning. THEN, the tuning is Measured and Recorded
>via an ETD, (or Measured by ETD and Recorded on a
>"hard copy".).

The wording here, while in essence is correct, might have caused you
to misinterpret the actual procedure, and therefore resulted in the
response you gave. Hopefully, what follows will detail just a little
more the process as I recall.

One person does not tune the entire piano, and then two others come
along and review that tuning. There is a Certified Tuning Examiner,
who is a Registered Piano Technician, and two Registered Piano
Technicians that tune a test piano as a team. They must be in
agreement every step of the tuning process.

Having arrived at consensus throughout various phases of setting up
the test piano, an Electronic Tuning Device (ETD), that is sanctioned
by a special testing committee of the Piano Technicians Guild (PTG)
used to record that consensus. It can be quite an exhaustive process.
The ETD in an invaluable aid to the process!

It is quite a time saver to record the information, so subsequent
tunings done by testees don't have to be aurally agreed upon over and
over, especially when there are several candidates to be tested. The
set-up process determines the goal for the candidates to attempt to
achieve on the test piano.

It only takes participation as a test candidate, or as one of the
examiniers to grasp the significance of the time involved to make
such a activity happen. What I have posted only scratches the surface
of the commitment given by those dedicated persons.

This input is what I recall from having taken the PTG tuning
examination, having witnessed the PTG tuning examination piano being
set-up and in having participated as one of the three persons in
administering the PTG tuning examination.

If any of the information I have presented is not accurately
described in good faith, please don't hesitate to correct it.

Respectfully,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731