tuning exam in US

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:29:04 -0400

Rick Moody, or anyone else thinking about taking the tuning exam:

Take it.

No it's not easy because the parameters are fairly tight up and down the
instrument, BUT, it's fair enough to the point that the Examiners talk to
you about literally every interval along the way.

It's a cheap way to have 3 RPT's examine your work, and you might just pass
the test anyway.

It's well-worth $90 to take the test..do it.

I was fortunate before taking the exam to have on average 3 pianos a day to
tune..and I was determined to pass the test strictly aurally. I did. I'm not
tooting my own horn here, but for every person taking the Tuning Exam, there
are going to be at least that many scenarios about how the tech taking the
test gets there. I was fortunate to properly prepare myself for what was in
front of me by tuning the badly scaled pianos aurally as well as the
well-scaled pianos.

I realize not all of us are that fortunate..but..the test is fair, and it's
cheap if you consider the time taken by all to prepare you for the exam.

I truly despise Nike, but they said it best...just do it.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com