Maybe they should all try to tune their own pianos....

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:53:49 -0700

Whenever someone expresses interest, I encourage them to get a tuning
hammer to try and clean up a unison here and there if it starts to drift.
I think most serious pianists ought to be able to do a couple of things,
adjust a pedal, take off the fall board to retrieve a pencil, clean up a
unison.  Many of the conservatories have a mandatory piano technology class
that piano majors must take.  Many seem to find ways to avoid it.  My
experience is that once they try to tune a unison, they appreciate much
more what you do.

BTW, I had the great misfortune of scheduling a number of appointments in
the south bay today.  Was it only 105?  I almost stopped at the local
hardware and bought myself a mini fan.  Had I thought of it earlier in the
day, I would have.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net