Maybe they should all try to tune their own pianos....

bruce greig bgreig@nyc.rr.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:16:09 -0400

Hi Dave - Reading your post about self-tuners, I recalled one instance =
from my early days - an older lady with a spinet or console which she =
called me to tune.  As soon as I played one chord and saw the condition =
of the tuning pins, I knew somebody had been at them with pliers.  But =
she was ready for my question with an award winning  performance "who do =
you suppose could have done such a thing?" "someone must have broken in, =
but why would they do this to me?" - yeah, sure, they did.  The piano =
actually tuned rather well, considering, and I never heard from her =
again.

Today I have several pianists who have tuning levers for touching up new =
strings and I don't discourage it but if they only call me every 5-6 =
years or so for a solid tuning as one did recently, I don't return the =
call.  I do have one very nice amateur musician who often pretunes =
(quite decently) his old Steinway M, getting it up and into the ballpark =
for a decent tuning - it doesn't hold well, needs repinning, actually =
complete rebuilding, so this works out well saving me an extra hour of =
hard labor, and he's not doing it because he's cheap; he has even =
apologized when he's been too busy to prepare it for me!

Bruce

---- Original Message -----=20