Maybe they should all try to tune their own pianos(PLAIN TEXT)

Harry Pickett hjpickett@cablenet-va.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:30:33 -0400

I play both piano and violin. I was and still am fascinated by how a
technician can get the touch and tone I require for a particular set of
repertoire, despite my colorful descriptions of what I wanted.
Last year doing a programme of Brahms and Rachmaninov, the piano would
go out rather frequently with 4-6 hrs a day of use. The Technician did
not mind my questions about how to tune and was in fact encouraging.
This support led me to begin my own journey to becoming a competent
technician.
With the violin, I change strings and on occasion bridge shape,
depending on the music.
I'm not saying every pianist should tune their own instrument; just that
what you say to a pianist has an impact and that, combined with a strong
desire and a willingness to sit, watch and learn (and make mistakes!)
could lead a newbie into the profession.
That's my two cents worth!
Harry

Harry Pickett