older steinway grands

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:13:55 -0700

You can't expect to put a set of hammers on a piano without an analysis of
weight and leverage and not expect to have a problem.   Changing wippens
won't make any significant difference in terms of the overall weight of the
action.  It could, in fact, make it heavier as Renner wippens weigh a bit
more than Steinway wippens.  Either will straightening the capstan
(assuming the same location).  There are a couple of ways to approach this
type of analysis.  I prefer Stanwood's method.  It's a bit long to go into
here but there is abundant information available if you are interested.  If
you don't want to do that, or can't, and if you liked the action the way it
was originally, then you will have to replace the shanks with one that has
a similarly placed knuckle and duplicate each of the hammer weights as
precisely as possible.  For that you will need at least a gram scale and
the ability to taper the hammers to get the appropriate weight.  You will
also have to choose a hammer that will allow you to achieve the desired
weight.  Some hammers are just too heavy to begin with.  This isn't the
best approach but it will at least get you back where you started.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net