OT More Realistic Test was RE: tuning exam in U.S.

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:24:28 -0500

Dear Richard,

At 12:39 AM -0500 6/28/03, Richard Moody wrote:
>... Why shouldn't piano technicians take a test every four or
>seven years ...?

I don't have a problem with that type of concept.

>When was the last time you were tested?

Mid 80s'.

>  > ... have you ever taken the Piano Technicians Guild
>  > Tuning Examination on any piano?
>
>     Yes but not officially ...

If you haven't taken it officially, then you haven't taken it.

>To put
>RPT at the end of my professional name doesn't mean that much to
>me (or my clients) at this point in my career, and  some of that
>has to do with the fact that there is no re-qualification
>requirements to maintain that status ...

If it doesn't mean that much to you, fine, let it be that.

But to assert a 'no re-qualification' issue for one reason to not
take the examinations in becoming a Registered Piano Technician is
not a reasonable justification to avoid the process from my point of
view.

You seem to want to suggest what standards should exist first for
testing purposes, when you aren't even willing to submit yourself to
the minimum standards that are already in place.

Reminds me of the Red Hen story concerning participation:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/7134/Easter/steastredhen.htm

In taking the PTG test examinations officially, not only would you
have a more realistic idea of what you are considering is inadequate,
you would would be in a far greater position to help put in place any
so-called improvements you feel ought to exist.

>  > >... Actually they should (take a test on a vertical). One tuning on
>>  >6 foot grand should not be the ONLY qualification.  A console
>or
>>  >upright tuning should also be required.
>  > >BOTH should be required
>  > >  every 4 years ...

As it is, you appear to be on the sidelines saying what's wrong with
the system, yet are unwilling to do what is necessary to help start
developing the system in a direction you feel it ought to go.

Choose to become a part of integrating your perceived solutions of
what you feel is inadequate with the testing system by participating
where it counts, being tested officially, serving on the necessary
committees involved in the advancement of such things, voting on
relevant proposals before Council, etc.

That's what the Piano Technicians Guild is about. Concerned
individuals getting involved where it counts, doing what's necessary
to help in advancing, however slowly, the development of
professionalism in the piano service industry.

Respectfully submitted,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731