OT More Realistic Test was RE: tuning exam in U.S.

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:32:38 +0200

Richard Moody wrote:

> Hold on Keith,
>     Why shouldn't piano technicians take a test every four or
> seven years just like teachers for example to retain their status
> in their profession?

Well...

--- because if you did that the PTG would loose all or most of its
membership overnite.
--- the test is such that the PTG simply does not have the resources to
test that many people each year.
--- you are never going to get the membership to vote an increase of
dues to cover such an expense
--- there is no reason to do this in the first place.

When the PTG or similiar body can certfify RPT's with a liscence to
legally operate as a qualified piano technician... then perhaps this may
be an issue. Until then... we are nothing more then a big club of folks
sharing a common interest and our exams and certifications mean nothing
in this context to the outside world.

Anyways.... this conversation really belongs on the PTGL list

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.