Square Action Handle

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:59:21 -0500

> Are you talking about the little retractable metal handle in the
middle of the front of the keyframe?

YEP.  The first time I saw one I have never understood why grand
actions of today do not have them.

    Another thing was the flange bushing in the split flange with
a screw to loosen or tighten the bushing.  This was not on all
squares I think. That seems to be a good idea but it must have
drawbacks because it is not in use today.
    Other than that most of the other aspects of square grands
were useless to counter productive.  Square grands were "for
market" items first and fore most.  Grand pianos were being made
during the era of square grands, why where so many more squares
sold?   People wanted a   "box" rather than a "wing" (flugal).
They fit in with the decor more than the grand piano?  They must
have been cheaper but I can't imagine how that could be since
forcing a grand piano into a rectangle seems to be twice the
effort of letting its design flow naturally from a straight hammer
line.
    Other details such as oblong pins, tuning pins in the back of
the piano instead of the front, hammers that had to be shaped
solely to pass each other thus negating the shape of the hammer on
tone,  and last but not least markedly inferior tone doomed the
square grand.  In pursuit of a better tone for the piano of the
masses, the square, succumbed in 10 years (1890-1900) to the
upright.
    As a piece of furniture they still have not been equaled as
far as state of the art of furniture manufacturing.  Just imagine
the value of a square grand if it were a desk, or wardrobe
constructed of the same exquisite carpentry,    woods and veneers.
There is much evidence to indicate the piano industry paid the
highest prices for woods and veneers, so thus only the very best
was used in pianos, the desk and furniture makers got second
ick.  ---rm