Square Action Handle

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:15:54 -0400

> YEP.  The first time I saw one I have never understood why grand
> actions of today do not have them.

Agreed. I have seen a few on modern grands. They work very well and you never snap C88 hammer off!

>     Another thing was the flange bushing in the split flange with
> a screw to loosen or tighten the bushing.  This was not on all
> squares I think. That seems to be a good idea but it must have
> drawbacks because it is not in use today.

Agreed. The square I have in my shop now has this feature. I don't know of any drawback (beyond perhaps cost) and it sure seems like it would be a very nice feature. I know David Stanwood played around quite a bit with this feature in the earlier days of his touchweight metrology endeavors. He discarded the idea for some reason - I don't remember - it might say on his web site or in his series of metrology articles in the Journal - I know his actions covered in the first articles had the split adjustable flange.

Terry Farrell