OT More Realistic Test was RE: tuning exam in U.S.

w peterson wpeterson2@socal.rr.com
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:55:24 -0700

Judge not least ye be judged. =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tompiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 4:51 AM
  Subject: Re: OT More Realistic Test was RE: tuning exam in U.S.

  Which brings me to the point I have been trying to make for years.
  If the piano technology industry really wants to get serious about =
increasing the amt. of Associates upgrading to RPT status they need to =
implement the following:
  l. The PTG would be point themselves in a much better direction if =
they consider having a paid staff of CTEs  (say a yr. part time job =
assignment) who would do nothing but give exams from state to state. You =
would have more CTEs who would justify the amount of time needed, plus =
the examiners would become more efficient at maximizing their time.=20
  If they would have a rotational staff of 12 who agree to make =
themselves available for so many dates and locations, a systematic =
approach to offering the exam could begin taking place. CTEs would =
justify their time because it wouldn't interfere (as much) within their =
earning power.
  2. Put a time limit on the grace period one could remain as an =
associate, say 3 yrs.
  After that point put up - or shut up.
  3. Raise the exam fees to respectable levels associated with a =
professional certification.  Let the fee reflect the importance of the =
upgrade.
  Obviously this would never fly as their would be a drastic drop in =
membership and the Guild would probably end up shooting themselves in =
the foot.  The Guild is far too fragile to make such a leap. But if =
there were to be a drastic revamping of the current system, that would =
be my call.
  Point being, I think in the long run, you would have dictated a new =
order of progressing up through the ranks. Then RPT status would have =
some clout behind because it would be one the hurdles many would HAVE to =
go through.
  There are many ways to shoot holes this plan, but if you the industry =
is ready to get serious, this is one of the possibilities they'll have =
to consider.
  Tom Servinsky, RPT=20