Short Treble (sustain?)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:31:38 -0600

--=====================_41513623==.REL

>Regarding the hysteresis loss of bridge coatings (or indeed of the bridge=
=20
>cap itself), I am not much of a fan of the string being in contact with=20
>the bridge cap at all. Therefore, the idea of a bridge agraffe would seem=
=20
>to have (in principle) considerable merit. The image below is a grey-scale=
=20
>jpeg of the latest Stuart piano agraffe.
>

>2795f9e.jpg
>

>The use of a high hysteresis material (such as silicon rubber) on the body=
=20
>of the agraffe would seem to negate a major benefit of using the device.=20
>Of course, if there is such a small clearance between the agraffe body and=
=20
>the strings that it causes string noise, one would have little choice but=
=20
>to use a lossy material as a 'cure' (apart from redesigning the agraffe=20
>which would be a better solution). Silicon on noisy agraffes 'kills' the=20
>tone nearly as effectively as damping out the front duplex to 'cure'=20
>string noise.

They're getting taller, though I can't imagine why they would need to.=20
Except for being roughly twice as tall as it should realistically need to=20
be (and robbing the difference from bridge height and stiffness), it's a=20
nice looking bridge termination. Like you, I wonder why the silicone rubber=
=20
is there. As short as that segment is, even at that low deflection angle,=20
why would it need to be damped? Is it even possible for a segment that=20
short to make noise? What is that, 10 millimeters maximum at nearly a 10=B0=
=20
angle on the speaking side? How much noise would that make? There doesn't=20
seem to have been any attempt made to straighten the strings beyond the=20
bends here either. Is there a (long overdue) technical nomenclature term=20
for that, and is that normal for these pianos?

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 2795f9e.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 90921 bytes