Short Treble (sustain?)

Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:59:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 01, 2003 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: Short Treble (sustain?)

They're getting taller, though I can't imagine why they would need to.
Except for being roughly twice as tall as it should realistically need to
be (and robbing the difference from bridge height and stiffness), it's a
nice looking bridge termination. Like you, I wonder why the silicone rubber
is there. As short as that segment is, even at that low deflection angle,
why would it need to be damped? Is it even possible for a segment that
short to make noise? What is that, 10 millimeters maximum at nearly a 10°
angle on the speaking side? How much noise would that make? There doesn't
seem to have been any attempt made to straighten the strings beyond the
bends here either. Is there a (long overdue) technical nomenclature term
for that, and is that normal for these pianos?

-----

I suspect the problem is with the string buzzing against the side of the
slot.

Del