Bridge Cap Finish, was: Short Treble (sustain?)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:23:22 -0500

Re: Short Treble (sustain?)I have long wondered about bridge cap =
finishes. I have been omitting the black goop, but I have also been =
leaving the cap completely unfinished. Not saying that's the best thing. =
I can certainly see that a solid cap could benefit from some sort of =
coating protection, but I wonder in the case of a horizontally laminated =
(epoxy) bridge cap, isn't the bridge fairly well protected by the five =
layers of epoxy (is shellac or polyurethane going to provide much =
additional benefit)?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Overs Pianos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 7:45 PM
  Subject: Re: Short Treble (sustain?)

             Varnish is to soft to be a bridge coating IMHO even if it =
went on first & graphite doesn't do much to protect a bridge topeither. =
I've been apllying several coats of shellac to NEW bridge tops. It seals =
it nicely and it's hard when dry. It also allows the beauty of the =
nicely quartered maple to come thru. I sand it smooth with fine paper =
then polish it with a rag. Now obviously this is done before the pins & =
strings go on. Right?
       Dale
  Dale and St=E9phane,

  I agree with your approach Dale. Similarly, I believe it is critically =
important that the bridge is envelope-sealed and that the chosen =
material should have a minimum of hysteresis loss. We currently use a =
polyurethane sealer which is quite a brittle material (we cover the =
sound board & cutoff panel, bridges and the action-bay in one spray =
session - with the pin block removed). For some time we have chosen not =
to apply a black slip coating on the bridge cap. I believe a black =
coating can result in an overheated and damaged bridge cap under stage =
lighting. Furthermore, as Dale mentioned, a clear coat allows the beauty =
of the quarter cut bridge cap to show through.

  SNIP